Religious fundamentalists have historically loathed and detested the Western lifestyle and political arrangement. The jihadist forces are known for suppressing minorities, demonizing democracy, persecuting women, crushing freedom of speech, and abominating liberal education. Their ideological stand in stark contrast with the progressive, luxuriant, individualistic and democratic way of life followed by the Western nations predominantly Europe and North America. As West calls such forces abominable, retrograde and reprehensible, the jihad fighters accuse the West of hypocrisy, pretense, forced subversion and imposition.
The most barbaric, violent and uncontrollable organization ISIS has targeted Western countries as their sworn enemies, holding them responsible for the chaos in the Muslim world and for denigrating Islam. They have committed some of the most savage and murderous crimes against humanity. The most appalling reality is that thousands of Muslims around the world including Europe have joined the ranks of ISIS, falling prey to their vicious propaganda of establishing a caliphate under the Shariat law combining the territories of Iraq and Syria. ISIS represents a distorted and misinterpreted version of Islam to lure young and vulnerable youths. Europe has seen maximum participation that can be slightly attributed to certain prominent factors there such as ensuing Islamophobia, disproportionate unemployment, discrimination, poor education, housing and facilities. This led to easy indoctrination of these culturally defiant youngsters.
The attacks perpetrated by ISIS are considerably the most systematic, unpredictable, and sudden. Here is a timeline of these contemptuous and cowardly attacks on Europe.
- Paris Terror Attack 2015: By far the deadliest and traumatizing attack on the European soil, Paris attacks claimed lives of more than 130 people. The assault was coordinated at multiple places, one at the State de France stadium where then French President Francois Hollande was present and the other at Bataclan concert hal
- Brussels Bombings: Two suicide bombings at a metro station and airport rocked the Belgian capital city, which is incidentally headquarters of NATO as well as European Union. There were around 30 casualties with 300 injured.
- Nice Terror attack: France had not emerged completely from the previous trauma of Paris, that another tragic terrorist rampage in Nice shocked the nation. The horrifying incident happened at the Bastille Day celebrations venue at the promenade in a seaside town of Nice. A lorry mowed down revellers taking lives of 84 people.
- German string of attacks: In July 2016, there were five violent incidences that attributed to terrorist assaults. A man had blown himself up in Ansbach, and another man killed a pregnant woman using a machete in Reutlingen. In another incident, an axe man attempted hacking passengers on a train in Wurzburg. A doctor was shot dead in a Berlin hospital.
- Normandy Church attack: France had had enough when two armed men stormed a church in Saint-Etienne-du-Rouvray of northern France, killing the priest while taking others hostage.
- Berlin Christmas market attack: Another incident involving a lorry took place in a busy market of Berlin where the attacker killed 12 people.
- Louvre knife attack: France was not ready for more when a knifeman drew a machete on the soldiers guarding the Louvre, as he screamed Allahu Akbar.
- Westminster attack: It was the most unprecedented of all, when an attacker in London moved down pedestrians on the famous Westminster bridge, that killed 4 and injured many.
- Stockholm attack: A failed asylum seeker from Uzbekistan drove a truck down a busy shopping street killing 5 people and injuring many.
- Paris shooting: Just few days before the French Presidential election, a policeman was killed on the Champs Elysees in Paris by a gunman as ISIS claimed responsibility.
- Manchester terror attack: Barbarity couldn’t have been worse than the terror attack at the Ariana Grande live concert at Manchester. Victims to this tragedy were mostly teenagers.
- London Bridge Terror attack: Although on high-alert, London witnessed another incident where three knifeman killed eight people and injured many others on London Bridge and in nearby Borough Market.
- Finsbury Park terror attack: A van driver mowed down Muslim worshippers on Seven Sisters Road near Finsbury Park mosque in North London.
- Barcelona terror attack: A terrorist ploughed a van into crowds, killing 15 people and injuring more than a hundred, in Barcelona’s Las Ramblas, one of the most famous tourist spot in the world.
Article by Mausam