Success tastes sweet indeed! We all seek victory in every walk of life in our own little ways. Life tosses up challenges at every juncture and we chase those hoping to efficaciously realize our ardent desires. Despite willingness, passion and focussed attempts, what causes failure to most and success to a handful of people only? Is wedlock of passion and profession not reason enough for gaining success? Why is there disparity among people in their battle of survival and success?
For gaining an insight on why people fail, let’s first understand the probable causes of failure:
It is said that understanding and conquering failure is an inevitable step towards mastering success. While the moments of failure could remain embedded as dark memories, we learn valuable lessons from each of our disappointments. Failure reveals the explanations to why we failed and treads ways of rebounding from such letdown event or phase. Interesting, Shiv Khera, author of “You Can Win”, has penned a few reasons recounting that failure most often emanates from one of those.
Do we have clarity on the purpose?
Researchers feel that a clear purpose, indicative of your professional or personal goal is a good enough reason to guide you through the success map.
Lack of determination
You have the talent, skill and potential, but still failed. What went wrong then? Lack of persistence in gearing up for what must be done and simultaneous resistance to what should not be done are discerning factors in the game of success. While persistence is the key, repetition of actions may not always get you close to your objective. Instead, reflect on your earlier efforts and consciously decide upon the adjustments and amendments to be made in your subsequent approach.
Courage and Confidence
constitute conviction in many ways. If you fail to believe in yourself, you will be naturally bound to conform to the mediocre ways. Decide whether you want ready acceptance of people or are you open minded to take a stance, i.e. if you consider doing something against the odds, do you consider taking it up and completing it well. A positive approach will mirror your passion for even the dullest of tasks. Often people take to compromising than collaborating for success accomplishment.
Habit of giving excuses
Rationalizing factors that may have caused failure is easy and people find it convenient to support their arguments likewise. The escape route can never be beneficial as it’s a better bet to analyse than rationalize. Once you begin rationalizing, you restrain yourself from understanding what happened and why it did and get stuck into the vicious circle of piling rationale for unsuccessful attempts.
Absence or lack of discipline
Discipline is a yard stick to measure self-control. It plays a significant role in staying focussed on your goal and aids in avoiding distractions. While an idealized vision of achieving success might appear motivational, it necessarily might not be practical to be obsessive. Setting objectives and monitoring your progress occasionally can instil discipline.
Overlooking and dismissing cues of past mistakes
With the right attitude, you can perceive failure as a mentor. Wise people learn from slip-ups and archive it to their life experiences. It’s a good idea to be prudent in your approach towards viewing the problem correctly.
Poor self-esteem and passive attitude
This could be a deterrent to achieving success. Low self-confidence and self-worth could lead to labelling yourself as a failure, thus killing the spirit to try again. If you resign to destiny, then making efforts will make no sense to you. Instead, take charge and control of life whenever possible as your attitude will determine success to a great extent.
While we address reasons for failure, are we ready to combat failure and steer ahead? Let’s see what measures could support in your stride to the success gateway.
- Have a specific plan with defined intentions. Respect and care for your purpose has a persuasive role to play in your success story
- Take tiny steps to approach your target of achievement; aiming too high could get intimidating
- If you fail in your initial attempts, prepare yourself with an available strategy to approach your next battle with grander determination. Don’t let failure interfere in your future preparations for re-encountering the challenge
- Be optimistic. A negative attitude leads to failure as it mechanically diminishes the effort that you could be otherwise willing to put.
- Confront fear instead of succumbing to it. If you are afraid, take the challenge as overcoming fear is winning in itself.
- Take the ownership of failure and don’t give excuses or blame people and incidences.
- Maintain a positive attitude: Read motivational books and listen to positive people, for if you don’t push and move forward, you will be deceased.
- Try not to align your life around accumulation of money or materialistic pursuits alone. Inculcate positive vibes and evoke a sense of gratitude from relationships, surrounding and community and through serving others as well.
- Remember that stress has the potential to kill your dreams and alter your performance. Engage in meaningful de-stressing activities to keep undue pressure and strains as bay.
An awareness of your weaknesses, capped with humility and a never-die outlook can relieve you from that gut-wrenching feeling amassed from failure; strengthening you to face and embrace bolder situations in future.
Article by Rochita.